Import CSV, first row column names, Tainacan Collection Metadata Schema

I’m new here! I’m trying to import a CSV into a new, empty, collection. The first row in my CSV contains column headers. My question is: Will Tainacan import this CSV, seeing the first row column headers, then based on that add each one as a field in the Collection metadata schema?

Here are the first few lines of my CSV:

ID,“Duplicate ID”,Title,“Original Title”,“Short Title”,“Uni Title”,“Interm Title”,Authors_author,“Author ID”,“First Name”,“Last Name”,“Author Occupations_author_occupation”,Translation?,“Translator Occupation”,Genres_genre,Topics_topic,“Publisher ID”,“Place of Publication”,Imprint,“Bookseller ID”,“Printer ID”,Printers_printer,Date,“Original Date”,“First Edition?”,“Original Editions”,Format,“Interm Language”,Original,“Original Language”,“Other Language”,Pages,Notes,“Public Image URL”,EEBO,ESTC,STC,“Wing Number”,Places_place_of,Places_place,Publishers_publisher,Booksellers_bookseller,PublisherPlace,PrinterPlace,BooksellerPlace,AuthorPlace,Translators_translator
R32625,“A closet for ladies and gentlewomen, or The art of preserving, conserving, and candying. With the manner how to make divers kindes of syrups, and all kindes of banqueting-stufs: also divers soveraign-medicines and salvs.”,“A closet for ladies and gentlewomen”,“A closet for ladies and gentlewomen”,“[author not specified]”,“[author not specified]”,“[author not specified]”,none,recipe,“remedies, multiple|food”,“London : printed by R.H., 1656.”,“Hodgkinson, Richard”,“Hodgkinson, Richard”,1656,n,12,S118904,190,http://gateway.proquest.com/openurl?ctx_ver=Z39.88-2003&res_id=xri:eebo&rft_id=xri:eebo:image:92992,http://estc.bl.uk/R32625,,“Wing (CD-ROM, 1996), C4731”,Printer,“[unspecified], London”,“[unspecified], London”,
R38064,“A new method of curing the French-pox written by an eminent French author. Together with the practice and method of Monsieur Blanchard. As also Dr. Sydenham’s judgment on the same. To which is added annotations and observations by William Salmon, professor of physick; living at the blew Balcony by the ditch-side near Holbourn Bridge, London.”,“Steven Blankaart, ‘Venus Belegert en Ontset. Oft Verhandelinge van de Pokken’ (1684)”,“A new method of curing the French-pox”,“A new method of curing the French-pox”,“‘Traité de la verole, gonorrhee, chancres, bubes venéreens’ (1688)”,“[author not specified]”,“[author not specified]”,“[author not specified]”,physician|professor,y,“disease, single”,“Taylor, John;Newborough, Thomas”,“the Ship, London;the Golden Ball in St. Paul’s Church-Yard, London”,“London : printed for John Taylor at the Ship, and Thomas Newborough at the Golden Ball in St. Paul’s Church-Yard, 1690.”,1690,1684,y,“Amsterdam: Timotheus ten Hoorn, 1684”,12,French,R38064,Dutch,300,/,http://estc.bl.uk/R38064,,“Wing (CD-ROM, 1996), N672”,Publisher,“the Ship, London”,“Taylor, John|Newborough, Thomas”,“the Ship, London”,
R206996,“A book of fruits & flovvers. Shewing the nature and use of them, either for meat or medicine. As also: to preserve, conserve, candy, and in wedges, or dry them. To make powders, civet bagges, all sort of sugar-works, turn’d works in sugar, hollow or frutages; and to pickell them. And for meat. To make pyes, biscat, maid dishes, marchpanes, leeches, and snow, craknels, caudels, cakes, broths, fritter-stuffe, puddings, tarts, syrupes, and sallets. For medicines. To make all sorts of poultisses, and serecloaths for any member swell’d or inflamed, ointments, waters for all wounds, and cancers, salves for aches, to take the ague out of any place burning or scalding; for the stopping of suddain bleeding, curing the piles, ulcers, ruptures, coughs, consumptions, and killing of warts, to dissolve the stone, killing the ring-worme, emroids, and dropsie, paine in the ears and teeth, deafnesse.”,“A book of fruits & flowers”,“[author not specified]”,“[author not specified]”,“[author not specified]”,none,recipe,“body parts|food|remedies, multiple”,“Jenner, Thomas”,“the south entrance of the Royall Exchange, London”,“London : printed by M.S. for Tho. Jenner at the south entrance of the Royall Exchange, London, 1653.”,“S., M.”,“S., M.”,1653,y,4,R206996,52,http://gateway.proquest.com/openurl?ctx_ver=Z39.88-2003&res_id=xri:eebo&rft_id=xri:eebo:image:118333,http://estc.bl.uk/R206996,,“Wing (2nd ed., 1994), B3708”,Publisher|Printer,“the south entrance of the Royall Exchange, London|[unspecified], London”,“Jenner, Thomas”,“the south entrance of the Royall Exchange, London”,“[unspecified], London”,
R215439,“A closet for ladies and gentlewomen or, The art of preserving, conserving, and candying. With the manner how to make divers kindes of sirups, and all kinde of banqueting stuffes. Also divers soveraigne medicines and salves for sundry diseases.”,“A closet for ladies and gentlewomen”,“A closet for ladies and gentlewomen”,“[author not specified]”,“[author not specified]”,“[author not specified]”,none,recipe,“remedies, multiple|food”,“London : printed by Richard Hodgkinson, 1641.”,“Hodgkinson, Richard”,“Hodgkinson, Richard”,1641,n,12,S118904,192,/,http://estc.bl.uk/R215439,,“Wing (2nd ed., 1994), C4727A”,Printer,“[unspecified], London”,“[unspecified], London”,

Desired behavior: Tainacan opens this CSV, sees the first line of column headers, and adds each one as a metadata field into the Collection into which this data is imported.

But is that correct? Or do I need to manually create metadata fields in the Collection before attempting a CSV import?

Thanks!

Hi @mcyzyk everything is fine?

The Tainacan importer offers two options. You can either select metadata that already exists in your collection or opt for the import process to generate new metadata for your collection (with certain exceptions for some metadata types). I recommend taking a look at the documentation here:

For selecting existing metadata: Link to documentation

For automatic creation of metadata using the importer: Link to documentation

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks!

If I am understanding that documentation correctly, there is no automatic creation of the metadata schema (based on first row CSV), rather, you first must manually create the schema in your collection, then manually map first row CSV values to it.

(I am learning more and more about Tainacan – very cool project!)

Hi @mcyzyk!

Automatic creation is possible, as long as you follow the formatting suggested in the link provided by Vinicius. Then, when importing, you should go to the mapping screen and select “Create metadata” instead of mapping to an existing one.

Thanks – much appreciated.

Mark

I have now pre-created Metadata fields into which my CSV columns will be slotted.

But when I try to Import I get a “Syntax error” on my CSV. I have attached a truncated version of my CSV, as generated by LibreOffice Calc. I don’t see anything wrong with it!

Thinking…

Mark
Biblio Truncated.csv (4.7 KB)

I was able to import this file, it seems ok to me as well… Can you try renaming it so it does not have blank spaces in the filename? Maybe your server is blocking it due to that…

A question mark in the title also, best is import using a single short name, renaming after import…

Thanks.

We will potentially have lots of question marks in our data, and not just in Titles but also URLs, among others. E.g.:

http://gateway.proquest.com/openurl?ctx_ver=Z39.88-2003&res_id=xri:eebo&rft_id=xri:eebo:image:92992

Are question marks not allowed in the input CSV?

No I don’t believe question marks inside the title should be an issue… my original concern was related to the filename itself