Error when trying to access APPEARANCE - CUSTOMIZE

I have a problem. I’m getting an error when trying to enter APPEARANCE - CUSTOMIZE in WP, I don’t know when it started, I’m updated on Tainacan 0.19.1 and SUPPORT FOR BLOCKSY 0.1.17. I tried to rollback to previous versions but it did no good. If I deactivate Tainacan then I can acces CUSTOMIZE option, but the moment I reactivate TAINACAN the error comes in. I can do all other things in WP, the whole site is not down, just the option CUSTOMIZE.

Hi @Vedran_Serbu,

I’m very sorry to hear that. Can you please take a look at the server errors? If you can send them here we can take a look. We shall release an update to the Tainacan support for Blocksy soon so it might be a good opportunity to fix any bug.

Could it be something with memory allocation, last few lines in error.log file are:

[09-Nov-2022 08:15:36 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 131072 bytes) in /home/dadhr/zbirkaleko.dad.hr/wp-content/themes/blocksy/inc/options/general/page-title.php on line 837
[09-Nov-2022 08:18:59 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 131072 bytes) in /home/dadhr/zbirkaleko.dad.hr/wp-content/themes/blocksy/inc/options/general/page-title.php on line 837
[09-Nov-2022 08:27:03 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 131072 bytes) in /home/dadhr/zbirkaleko.dad.hr/wp-content/themes/blocksy/inc/options/general/page-title.php on line 837
[09-Nov-2022 08:27:56 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 131072 bytes) in /home/dadhr/zbirkaleko.dad.hr/wp-content/themes/blocksy/inc/options/general/posts-listing.php on line 911
[09-Nov-2022 08:28:34 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 32768 bytes) in /home/dadhr/zbirkaleko.dad.hr/wp-content/themes/blocksy/inc/options/general/page-title.php on line 779
[09-Nov-2022 09:02:41 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 163840 bytes) in /home/dadhr/zbirkaleko.dad.hr/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 125
[09-Nov-2022 11:15:46 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 32768 bytes) in /home/dadhr/zbirkaleko.dad.hr/wp-content/themes/blocksy/inc/options/general/page-title.php on line 1174
[09-Nov-2022 11:20:01 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 32768 bytes) in /home/dadhr/zbirkaleko.dad.hr/wp-content/themes/blocksy/inc/options/general/page-title.php on line 1174

These are not from apache log, but from wp-admin/error.log

I increased PHP memory allocation to 256 but it changes nothing. On other hand, after incresase, it takes more time to get this error (waiting) and I found no new error in that same error log.

I don’t know… it is not something that I have faced before. Dou you happen do have multiple collections?

Also, could you test with this version?

I will try that version, but I must say, after increasing PHP memory alocation to 1024 I’ve got the CUSTOMIZE page, but it loaded very very very slow.

I have 73 collections and that should be final number of collections.

Is there any way to speed this up?

thx

Vedran

If it is too many collections, is there a way to merge collections?

Unfortunately, the answer might be in the memory limit in that case. Blocksy’s customizer creates a complex array of options for each Custom Post Type (think around 200 options for each collection). I don’t believe they where very concerned with the size of this because usually their users have two, three, even four Custom Post Types (mostly people using plugins like WooCommerce, which adds a Products post type and that’s all). When we developed the integration plugin, we hook in their functions to enable our post types (each collection)… this is what allows you to have separate appearance settings for each collection, but still, causes this problem.

While having so many collections can be bad for Tainacan in general (I would argue that maybe your data might be better organized finding metadata in common and separating itens via Taxonomies - if you want to discuss alternatives on this way, I’m all ears), I believe I can implement some solution for the Curstomizer case. I could create an option or a filter for developers that could allow you to decide which of your 73 collections to have dedicated customizer settings. Because I don’t expect you to be setting 73 different page options for each collection, right?

No, sadly not. We can make things easier using CSV exporter and some bulk edition strategy.

Is there any way I can create 1700+ blank collection items, because it is easier to upload and do everything in sequence, but it can be done only if item alredy exists.

Sure, you can do that using the CSV importer!

I know that you have “bulk add items” but I find it difficult to control upload and creation time of the item that way, and that is very important to me because I want all items to be created in order.

Every time I bulk upload same items, the order of creation (upload) is different.

Is there a way to control order of bulk add items? The reason is that I want to use COLLECTION ITEM’S LIST and can not sort it by anything but by default CREATION DATE.

That is an open issue, we should add a feature to control this order in this block in the future… But really you should not avoid using bulk edition because of a presentation problem. And deciding how your collections will be organized is a big step, which as you see can impact in several things.

Regarding the order, while you cannot use our block, have tried using WordPress Query Loop Block? It has an option “Post Type” that should list your collection items. Another possibility is to use Blocksy’s post shortcode. It is a bit more complicated because you have to know the slug of your collection post type (usually something like tnc_col_123_items).

Can you elaborate about your collections organization? Would you agree on having less collections if you can decide more metadata that are common in between them?

Thank you so much, I’ll try those options.

I agreee that having less collection is best thing to do.

About organization of my collections.

It is organized in 28 series, with some of the series has it’s own subseries.

Some of the series have only few images and some of the series have up to 120 images.

Average, there are 30-50 images per seria.

All images are numbered and I would like to preserve that order in presentation.

The best strategy to use when deciding if you should or should not create a new collection for a set of items is to think if that item can or cannot be described by the same set of metadata from existing collections. So if every metadata is the same (but their values are not) you can keep them in the same collection, and separate eventual qualifiers (such as type, source, category) using taxonomies. Taxonomies even give you a separate items list and blocks, which can emulate a “collection” of items across different collections.

Regarding “sub-series”, I know there is no way to create a “sub-collection” or “sub-items” in Tainacan, like you can do in Atom, for example. But you can emulate that hierarchy using Relationships (if it is a one-level down only) or Taxonomies (if more). It is not ideal, but we have some ideas of how to do it.

Multiple images in a same item are usually handled by attachments. You can tweak their order in the media gallery. The only exception is that the first attachment will always be the main document. If you need to add more details to every image, then you may want to separate them in itens of a related collection. You can check the recently added feature of enabling relation detailed metadata to see how this can emulate this idea of “sub-item”.

Everything with the series and those things I can solve, the main problem for now is order by problem. I hope you’ll solve it soon :pray:

Do you have maybe an idea when this “order by” issue is going to be addressed?

PS: It is also affects the POSTS NAVIGATION option, there also the items are not ordered as “initial order by” setting is defined in collection settings. :frowning:

(for me it would do some loophole like controlling the order of uploading the files with add bulk)

Hi @Vedran_Serbu,

We are planning a release for today. Next week I can pull this out of backlog. It should not be complicated, but I would ask at least a month for it.

If you mean the “next” and “previous” items feature from Blocksy in each item page, that should work respecting the context of the items search that you came from, when clicked in the item (assuming you come from an items list page, not a block). But it should be worth trying it with the next version of both Tainacan and the Blocsky support plugin, because I did some fixes there too.

1 curtida

I would really appreciate it for “order by” problem. Tnx. :slight_smile:

Regarding post navigation, I’ll make a new post about that with links and everything.

Thank you so much.

Vedran

1 curtida