Slow speed of browsing

I am experiencing that the speed of browsing has become immensely slow now in my portal. Especially, when I click the slide-show view of my collections, it takes nearly a minute to start the first image. The transition time to the next image is also quite long. While my colleagues are checking the server settings and network configurations, I would like to know if there is anything I should check in wordpress and the Tainacan plugin? Is there any limit to the maximum data volume? The current size of my database is around 150 GB.

Hi @parasmoni!

Performance can be affected by numerous factors. Before we list some possibilities, could you share a link to your public page so we can also do our tests? If available, of course.

Hi, @mateus.m.luna, thank you for this response. As my portal is not on internet but on our local intranet only, I have been exploring how I can share it with you. One possibility I found is that you can access my site through the remote sharing app TeamViewer if that is convenient for you. If that is possible, let me know your time of access. Regards, Paras

Hi @parasmoni. Let’s try to cover some things here.

As you are mentioning that the slideshow is the particular pain point, I should say that it renders the image in it’s full, non-cropped size, while the other view modes always render smaller, cropped versions which is optimal for performance. If you open the Network Inspector of your browser, you can watch the requests to see who is taking more time. Which are the size of this images being loaded? If they are the ones to blame, then a solution might be looking for an image server solution, such as those offered by AWS. We could, in our side, implement a solution for rendering only the large size in this view mode (which is maximum 1024px, if I am not wrong), leaving the full-sized image only to the item page, where there is the zoom modal… but that needs to be discussed.

If your items requests are the one slowing things down, we can take a look at the amount of items being loaded per page and also the amount of metadata present in each item. There is no fixed limit for it but obviously the larger these values are, the more they can impact in performance. We discuss some solutions regarding to this here (sorry that not every page is in english, you can ask us if you cannot understand something with the help of a translator): Tainacan Wiki

Notably, if your repository has more than 10000 items, it might be interesting to invest in Elastic Search, using the ElasticPress plugin. For an immediate result in items loading performance, one thing that you can do is to disable the facets count (the number of items shown in each filter, even before you click that checkbox). This can be done via a filter or partially by making the checkbox filters Begin “disabled” (an option that was recently released in version 0.19).

Let me know if any of this helps.

Thank you @mateus.m.luna , once again for your valuable response. I will try to work on your various suggestions with my programmer colleague on Monday. As a first step at my own level, I tried to look at the Network inspector as you have suggested at the beginning. I have attached here the screenshots of the various pages. It appears that for most pages, there is something “favicon.ico” which gets highlighted in red. But in the slide-view session, it seems to be something different called “Uncaught TypeError”.

I thought you may like to look at these screenshots and give more comments.

Hi @parasmoni!

You should not worry about the favicon. This is the small icon that identifies your website in the browser tab. You can set it from any image via a WordPress Setting.

Regarding the Uncaught TypeError, this seems to be related to a plugin , something like “wccp-free”. This is another topic that I didn’t mentioned. It is always good to check if other plugins may be causing side effects. Try listing them here and disabling some from time to time to see if some change appears.

Hi @mateus.m.luna, It seems the problem of slow loading is not going to go away soon. I will check disabling the plugins and also follow your earlier suggestions on server optimization. Thank you.

Ok @parasmoni. As an extra thing to be checked, have you accessed your System Check page to see if all things are good? See here how to open it:

Yes, @mateus.m.luna . I checked the System Check page of Tainacan which looks okay to me. I am furnishing below a screenshot of it for you:

I should also inform you that I am using the “Big File Uploads” plugin to increase the maximum file upload size. Currently, it is set to 30 GB; and Wordpress media upload page shows it as 30 GB. However, the Tainacan System Check page reports it as 30 MB only.

Here is a screenshot of Wordpress Media Upload page: