Tainacan translations

Hello,

I recently discovered Tainacan and I found it very well made and powerful, so I’m thinking of using it for a cultural heritage project I’m working on. I’m hoping to get a Tainacan instance deployed, that will be a sort of showcase / proof of concept for a digitized heritage repository, and we’ll see where it goes from there.

This project is in Greece, so I’d need to get Tainacan translated to greek, which I’ve already started doing at Projects translated to Greek < GlotPress — WordPress.org
I’ll try to get PTE status on wordpress so that my translations can get immediately used. But even if I don’t, some strings that I suggested got approved pretty briefly so I don’t think that will be a problem. If need be, maybe someone can help me out as the plugin owner? I’m still trying to figure out how the process works on translate.wordpress.org, it is new for me.

Also, since I am going through all the text of Tainacan for the purpose of the translation, I will suggest fixes for any issues I find in the english original strings. I already did a PR on github, and I’ll try to contribute whatever else I can.

Again, I’m very glad to get the opportunity to use and even contribute a little bit to such a nice project :slight_smile:

3 curtidas

Hello @adrian, welcome to our forum!

First of all, thanks again for the commits :slight_smile:.

We’re glad that you are enjoying the plugin! This community is mainly made by Brazilian and Mexican users, so it is great to see interest all the way from Greece! This is the right spot to ask any questions that you have in terms of usage, development, contribution, etc.

Regarding translations, you are in the right path. It is a huge work but an essential contribution to make translations. We can open a PTE request for you, but what I’ve learned from experience is that maybe we could wait until you have more progress (like 20% of the strings) so that the Greek WP community see how involved you are and which suggestions they can give to you. BTW these are nice links to have in mind:

We are also open to more improvements to our English strings, many of them may lack clarity and it is good to have an outsider opinion… we already had some good insights when we were working with the Spanish translators :sweat_smile:

Talking about community, you should know that you are not our first Greek user, there is actually @Alkis who have recently talked with us. You guys feel free to help each other as well :sunglasses:. He would benefit from your translations contribution, as by now he is using a plugin that does the magic in another way.

That’s it, we’ll keep in touch! I’m curious to lean about your project once it get some shape. Meanwhile, lets’ keep the hard work :fist_right:t3: :fist_left:t3:

Thanks for the reply, glad to be here.

I’m aiming to get most of the translation done ASAP, maybe within the week, so we’ll see how that progresses. I have some terms that I don’t know exactly what they refer to, I’ll check with github and if I have questions I’ll ask here.

Also, what you said about the clarity of the English text, I have seen it in a few places where they could perhaps be said a bit better. I’ll gather my suggestions and set up a PR for them again.

Also, other than translations, I’ll have to also set up some customizations for my use case (viewing 3d models in the browser), but this is a problem for later on :blush:

Yo that’s ambitions, take your time :sweat_smile:

Nice, we’ll wait for it.

That’s also great! We could maybe team up to make a plugin for the plugin. Someone did try something related to 3D objects: Tainacan Wiki
But I am not sure of the status of it. I’ve also seen people using embed iframe visualizations. Anyway, we may investigate this.

1 curtida

I’m here to help as well YES!!!. Let me know if I can do some of the translation @adrian

1 curtida

Καλησπέρα @Alkis !

If you want to help, by all means! I’d suggest getting translations directly onto translate.wordpress.org, so that they are made publicly available - which I suppose will be broadly useful because there’s a whole push by the ministry of culture of Greece towards promoting digitization (and consequently digital archiving and presentation) of cultural heritage. So yeah, I’d say jump right in, I don’t follow any particular order in translating (I usually leave the more difficult and questionable stuff for last), so anything not translated yet is up for grabs. :slight_smile:

I have some experience translating other projects to greek, so if you want to discuss details, HMU (the most important points in my experience are to take decisions and be consistent about glossary formal/informal language). And if you see something I translated that you don’t agree with, we can also discuss it in order to reach the best result.

Also, @mateus.m.luna thank you again for the very warm welcome!

1 curtida

That is a good sign, we have lots of partners that come from the Brazilian Institute of Museums (IBRAM), and it has being a nice movement to see they building their first websites on WordPress with their digital archives. Most importantly, they’re working towards metadata standardization and integration of the archives via the open API. :nerd_face:

Consistency is key in fact and having a pair to work with can be very handful, that’s how the mexicans did. If you want you can open a topic focused on translations, then you can bring in some doubts. Leave the confusing or complicated for the end. Once one of you guys have PTE access, you’ll be able to select multiple strings and set them as accepted at once. Even accepted, the translation of the strings will only start to appear in the plugin when you have more than 80% ready.

Also, here is one tip that I’ve just remembered: We are using the word “metadatum” to indicate the singular of “metadata”, even tough in English the later is valid for both plural and singular.

Hey, couple of updates, I got PTE access and I have reached 80% completion. The remaining 20% is going to be a bit harder, it is the more complex stuff that I need to research in order to translate.

I’m also gathering more small spelling/grammar fixes that I’m slowly compiling in an new PR. One thing that I noticed throughout the project is the use of “edition” wrongly, where it should normally say “edit” or “editing” (edition means ~version). This is rooted very deep into the project and I don’t think I can make all the appropriate changes by myself, so maybe @mateus.m.luna you could help out with that if you can?
(and another thing less important but similarly used throughout the project, the use of “can not” when “cannot” is a bit better IMO)

1 curtida

Dude thats a LOT of strings in a couple o days, congratulations! :clap:t3: :tada:

Nice catch with the “edition”, it makes sense. My suggestion is that you open the PR and once we review it, I can search more carefully on the interface for other places. :face_with_monocle:

About this, I don’t have any strong argument in favor or against :sweat_smile:. If it is not something that we could find suggested in the translations handbooks, I would suggest leaving as it is, as any changes will mark the other locales as outdated.

Keep the good work! Hopefully by the end of the month we will have the new translations published :crossed_fingers:t3:

“Both cannot and can not are perfectly fine, but cannot is far more common and is therefore recommended, especially in any kind of formal writing.”

So, yeah, not much of an issue, it just looks a bit unusual, I suppose. Also, “cannot” is one character less. But I totally understand the argument about changing the strings.

1 curtida

About this, I’ve managed to get an initial basic version working, using an iframe and google’s model-viewer https://modelviewer.dev/ for a basic but very functional render of a 3d object (with some control of rotation and zoom).
This is getting out of topic though, I’ll post a new thread when I have a better understanding and good formulation of this method.

1 curtida

Hey @Alkis
I see that the bulk of the greek translations have been set to use on the project you’re working on (https://digitalepitalio.gr) - great work by the way!
If you have any feedback or anything based on the actual use of the translations in production (both for end users and for the admin panel), do let me know, so we can make them better :slight_smile:

Hello @adrian !
Yes it’s coming along quite well.
The thing is that I had done most of the work before you posted the official translation link on wp.
Please contact me in private and we could discuss how we can merge/use all the translations I have done on the website with the official translation.
A