About translation

Hi, I already asked about translation of Tainacan but I would like to clarify that problem more.
You already answered to me on this topic in Translate some strings BUT…

I know that Wordpress is 100% translated in Croatian and that Blocksy plugin is 100% translated in Croatian. You said that some parts of the Tainacan strings are “drawn” from Wordpress core translation, my wordpress settings are set to Croatian, but I see no changes in Tainacan, not one string is translated in Croatian. I understood that some Tainacan generic strings are “drawn” from Wordpress core, I’m I understanding that part correctly?

I know there is a project for translation of Tainacan on wordpress web (Projects translated to Croatian < GlotPress | WordPress.org) but I woud like to translate just some of the strings on the frontend of Tainacan (I always before used Loco Translate with success but not with Tainacan). On other hadn, I’m not interested in site-wide automatic translation like GT Translate.

PS: I’m working on a new project with Tainacan, so I would like to start with clean slate regarding translation, that part of the my last project was a bit fuzzy, and I want to do it better this time, but I’m really not sure I have time to translate it completly on Wodrpress page

The problem is that strings come from different portions of code and are rendered or processed at different moments on the server.

Loco Translate may do some magic to find these strings but it is hard… they may be:

1. Defined in PHP files on the server side;
  2. In JS files that are rendered browser side (those can even be minimized for optmization reasons;
  3. Defined in the database for initial values (values that later you may tweak in the server);

In your setup you might have string that where defined:

1. In WordPress Core;
  2. In Blocksy’s code;
  3. In Blocksy’s Companion plugin code;
  4. In Tainacan Integration plugin for Blocksy’s code;
  5. In Tainacan plugin code;

I would bet that the majority that concern you are in the last two and those are not translated to Croatian. The safest and most effective strategy is to translate via the web project such as you linked. I know the process is slow. One suggestion is that you begin translating only those strings that you are interested and then download the .po and .mo files from the repository. You could then try adding them in your /wp-content/languages folder and see if it works…

If you have a clear list of which strings you want to translate I can tell you from where they are being pulled so I can point you to the right repository.

I think I’ll consider contacting Croatian translation team to see options to translate it through web project, in the long run, I think it is the best thing to do.

Thank you, again

1 curtida

My advice is to start translating some strings. They’ll be saved as “waiting” for approval. Then you can “show some work” and demonstrate that you are willing to collaborate. This will give them the opportunity to evaluate if you are following a proper vocabulary. Once you have some strings, you can reach me so I ask them to add you as project translator.

1 curtida

Thank you for your advice

I started with some translation, it would be nice if you can contact Croatian Translation team, I have some comments there and need some suggestions from them.

Tnx.

I need some clarification with translation. Sometimes some core terms are written in the middle of the sentence with capital first e.g.

Item, Term, Collection, Repository

Can you explain?

BTW, I’m at 500th string, did you have any success with contacting someone from Croatian translation team, I had no success unfortunately, and I really would like someone to review work already done, and give me some pointers.

Tnx.

Hi @Vedran_Serbu!

Well… this is something that was possibly done by our developers (me included) to highlight the usage of a concept that comes from Taincan terminology (Collections for example is a relatively generic term that may have different usage across WordPress plugins). But to be honest, I don’t think it was something well defined among us and there is probably lot’s of inconsistencies around the code :confused:.

As the first translator of the language, I suggest you to pick a convention and stick to it. If I’m not mistaken, the Brazilian Portuguese guidelines advocates against adding capital letters in the middle of sentences, so it is probably a good idea to avoid them in Croatian as well.

Congratulations on the work! Sadly I did not have any return yet. Last week I tried reaching two of the users mentioned as maintainers of the core Croatian translators and nothing… I’ll try another strategy, which is to open a PTE request directly in the Polyglots forum. Be back with feedback as soon as I can!

1 curtida

Maybe this will help:

1 curtida

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Hi Mateus.

I translated over 90% of strings, but sadly, nobody from Croatian Translation team contacted me.
In the meantime, one question. Is it possible to test translation on real installation (but not that one - TRANSLATE LIVE on Wordpress web, that one is not working well).

I’m particularly interested in testing the front-end translation of tainacan, so that I can see certain strings in context.

Tnx!

Yeah I’m kinda bummed by their lack of response so far…

And I believe you can test… try the following, go to:
https://translate.wordpress.org/projects/wp-plugins/tainacan/stable/hr/default/

In the bottom you’ll see this option:

Select the “.mo” option and Download. Then upload it to your /wp-content/languages/plugins folder.

Let me know if this works!

1 curtida

Works like a charm, I alredy had to correct some translations strings regarding it’s context.

A question, I tried to purge cache, reload everything, but three strings were not translated, even though I found them in the list of strings and they were in fact translated.

When click on SORT and get a list of options to sort by, first string is HAS THUMBNAILS and other string is DOCUMENT TYPE and third string is COLLECTION.

Other sting which did not translate is in the breadcrumbs on the frontend where is goes:

home > collection name > ITEMS (that string “items” did not translate)

I’m now primarily focusing on frondend.

Yayy glad it did!

Those a tricky… they are special “control metadata” values which are generated when you first activate Tainacan and saved in the database… so as you loaded the translation later they remain in the English form. I’m sorry, for that you would have to begin from a fresh install. But we are aware that this is not ideal and keep discussing ways for solving that.

That is being loaded from the Tainacan Support for Blocksy plugin:
https://translate.wordpress.org/projects/wp-plugins/tainacan-blocksy/stable/hr/default/?filters[term]=items&filters[term_scope]=scope_any&filters[status]=current_or_waiting_or_fuzzy_or_untranslated&filters[user_login]=&filter=Apply+Filters&sort[by]=priority&sort[how]=desc

1 curtida

I understand, so, generally, if sometimes in the future Croatian localization becomes official, the Croatian translation is going to be installed with the Tainacan, so that “control metadata” are going to be in Croatian (given that Tainacan is installed after I set Croatian language as default in that Wordpress instance). That is great!

And regarding ITEMS, this means that I have to start with localization of the Tainacan Support for Blocksy plugin :slight_smile:

Tnx! Again!

I imagine it must be hard all these translation work… I understand because we write in English and later have to translate all in Portuguese :sweat_smile:

My suggestion is that you go on a more “on demand” approach with the Support plugin, since the great majority of the strings there appear in the Customizer instead of in the public templates of the theme.

1 curtida