Multilingual collections

Hello friends! I am working on a project whose goal is to offer a collection that initially will have two collections in 2 languages: Spanish and English. Each element of the collection must have the metadata name and metadata in both languages.

Is it possible to do this in a single Tainacan installation? Or do I need to make two installations in English and Spanish and attach the two web addresses in the main page menu?

Has anyone had any experience regarding collections in different languages? Thank you!

Hi @abraxas!

Multilingual support is something that is in our horizon, but we don’t have a solution for this yet. Mainly because WordPress itself has plans to bring this kind of feature to core in the coming years, so we would like to see how that will go.

So unfortunately, if you need your digital archive to be completely multilingual you would need different installations. I know a few projects that went into different strategies:

1. Using a plugin for automatic translation (doesn’t work 100% but is a more realistic approach since they probably would not have the energy to actually fill all the metadata in every locale);
  2. Using a plugin for translation in WordPress (that allows to translate menus, pages and posts) and then having all the metadata in the collection with duplicated metadata (one for each language). With a bit of code, you can show in the interface only the metadata related to the current language.

Again, not ideal but it is what I can suggest by now.

1 curtida

Hi @mateus.m.luna, I’m also very interested in this topic.

Would you know how https://archive.file.org.br/ did it?
Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 10.09.45

thanks!

Yeah @tragnesia they went for the first approach. Its this plugin here:

It does automatic translations when the page render. Not perfect, but pretty powerful. The thing to keep in mind is that the database still has only the original language. So if you perform a textual search, it will only find results that actually exist in that language.

1 curtida

thanks for this info! and I agree on the “pretty powerful”!

muchas gracias por tu respuesta… voy a hacer dos instalaciones de Tainacan con dos diferentes idiomas para el proyecto… saludos!

2 curtidas